Position Profile - UPDATED January 2023
ABOUT a/perture cinema
Founded as a community-based art cinema in 2010, a/perture cinema transitioned to become a nonprofit organization in 2017 with the mission to engage and entertain the community through the art of film by showcasing informative, educational, thought-provoking and inspiring films – films that enrich our lives, engage our minds, promote diversity and build community. In addition to presenting daily film programming, a/perture advocates for film education and provides varied, inclusive opportunities to deepen, strengthen and diversify connections to the cinema and filmmaking experience. As the region’s only nonprofit arthouse cinema, a/perture cinema, builds an inclusive and welcoming culture and ensures that our cinema is everyone’s cinema.
a/perture has evolved as a nonprofit organization and expanded their programming, the organization has grown the leadership from a single position to an Executive Director-Artistic Director co-leadership model. The current founder/curator will move into the Artistic Director role, with an Executive Director added as a second leadership position. Together, this team will lead the organization as partners to address its creative and operational needs and plan for a strong future.
The Executive Director serves as the key operations and development leader of a/perture cinema and is responsible for the success and health of the organization. A seasoned nonprofit professional with proven experience working with a Board of Directors and a passion for community arts, the Executive Director manages the day-to-day administration and ensures accountability to a/perture cinema’s vision, mission, and the community. It is the focus of the position to sustain and enhance the work of the cinema and strive toward the achievement of the organization’s mission, plan, goals and objectives.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and co-leads with the Artistic Director and must demonstrate initiative and drive, have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to plan, organize and manage the work of multiple projects. The Executive Director functions as a spokesperson for the organization in partnership with the Artistic Director and represents the organization’s mission in the community, serving as an encouraging partner, identifying and leveraging opportunities, and leading fundraising and advocacy efforts. This role will seek and create opportunities to build the capacity as an organization and help set a new strategic vision for the mission-based work.
a/perture cinema provides programming at least 6 days a week. The Executive Director may need to be onsite to support the theater schedule, events, and other evening and weekend activities. Flexibility exists to conduct aspects of the Executive Director’s work remotely.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes, skills, and experiences:
- Success with setting and achieving organizational goals with an inclusive, adaptable approach to planning and change management.
- Adeptness with cultivating, informing, and supporting a Board of Directors to effectively carry out its governance role and duties.
- Strong communication skills in interpersonal and group interactions; capacity to communicate issues clearly and persuasively.
Fundraising and Resource Development
- Success creating and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans and strategies.
- Experience with resource development including prospect research, cultivation strategies, events, campaigns, donor solicitation, and grant writing and management.
- Expertise creating opportunity through collaboration, communications, and outreach with current and potential partners and the community at-large.
- Skillful relationship-building and inviting stakeholder input with the ability to adapt to the diverse and complex needs of internal and external stakeholders.
Administration and Operations
- Proficiency in building a flexible organization with a sustainable infrastructure, policies, operations, and practices that are successful and consistent with strategic priorities.
- Oversight of office and facilities, including maintenance, equipment, and service planning.
- Proficiency with empowering and developing an engaged, inclusive team of staff, in a manner that instills ownership, partnership, achievement, and results.
Financial Planning and Management
- Experience with budgeting and financial reporting and projections to a Board of Directors, funders, and governments.
- Knowledge of financial management and controls, including monitoring financial performance with transparency and integrity.
- Responsibility for HR and payroll functions with support of outsourced bookkeeping contractor and payroll service provider.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The target hiring salary for this position is $75,000-$85,000, based on experience. a/perture offers an annual health stipend for salaried employees of $3600/year.
Please submit the following documents to aperture@CapabilityCompany.com:
- cover letter
- contact information for three to five references, including at least one direct report and one supervisor/board member